Tuesday 10 March 2009

Neumeier retires

The signing of Sylvain Cloutier as Excel Hull Stingrays player-coach marks the very end for veteran defenceman Troy Neumeier.

Neumeier (above), who retired last summer only to make a U-turn and return in the late post-season, had suggested that he would consider any offers on their merits and was a mooted replacement for Rick Strachan.

Speaking before the appointment of Cloutier Neumeier had made it clear that this season was his last as a player but he would consider any further developments.

"As of right now I'm just going to go home and relax, sit back and chill out. I'm not going to approach anyone. If they want to approach me that's one thing. I can't say whether I'm interested one way or another before I go home and talk to my family.

"As of now I'm not going to change my mind about what I plan to do, but funnier things have happened, so I can't say one way or the other."

However, news that the Stingrays were plumping for a player-coach as a result of the recent financial climate, appeared to rule him out of the running. That was confirmed yesterday as his former Coventry teammate, Sylvain Cloutier, was announced as the Stingrays player-coach.

His appointment acts as confirmation that Neumeier will indeed retire this summer after 1333 career games, 79 goals, 278 assists and 993 penalty minutes.

It is a sad end for a player that set his final sights on dragging the hapless Stingrays into the playoffs for the first time. Over a thousand games after starting his career with Prince Albert in the WHL, including his year long spell with the Stingrays, where he scored seven goals and 13 assists in 55 games, Neumeier will finally retire from the game at the age of 38.
"It’s over, that’s enough for me. I am sore and tired and I am finally retired. It will take a while to sink in ."

"It’s been a long time, I have played a lot of games and a lot of years but all good things come to an end. It’s been a hell of a run and I don’t regret anything. Getting drafted was a top priority and I won a couple of championships which is what everyone plays for. Some people go through a whole career without one so that is another highlight."