Friday 18 September 2009

Stingrays duo banned for five games

The Elite League have confirmed that Stingray forwards Curtis Huppe and Adam Knight have each been banned for five games for their parts in the chaotic scenes at the end of the Stingrays 5-2 Challenge Cup defeat in Cardiff.

28 year old Knight automatically received a two match ban after being handed two game penalties, for fighting in the last two minutes and travesty of game, by referee Dean Smith. That was extended to five games by the Elite League because the Canadian failed to go straight to the dressing room after being ejected from the game, resulting in the ensuing off-ice fight with Voth. Like Kozak and Voth last year, he also has a six game suspended ban hanging over his head, meaning that, if he incurs another Travesty of Game penalty this season, he will be automatically forced to miss six further games.

Player-assistant coach Huppe, who threw a stick from the Stingrays bench into the Devils bench in a javelin motion, will also be banned for a combined five games after being handed one game for throwing an object and a further four games due to the reckless nature of the incident.

The Canadian sniper told the Hull Daily Mail:
"I do regret what I did and it was out of character – I am not that type of player. It was done in the heat of the moment and I know I shouldn't have done it. I am disappointed, though, I was not allowed to give the league my version of events and have my say. Adam Knight was getting hit by some of their players' sticks and I just wanted to distract them although I know what I did wasn't the right thing to do."
For the Devils, Brad Voth has been given a five game ban, with a further six games suspended, whilst Scott Romfo, Mike Hartwick and Max Birbraer will also sit out Saturdays game with Sheffield after getting single game bans.

The Stingrays pair will miss Elite League games against Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast as well as Challenge Cup ties with Coventry and Nottingham.