Wednesday 9 October 2013

Campbell: an apology

Released Hull Stingrays forward Derek Campbell today spoke for the first time since his release from the club and subsequent 47 game ban.

In a lengthy interview featured with the Hull Daily Mail - which can be read in full here - he said:
"I thought the hit was unnecessary and 'dirty'. It could have been even worse, but I saw him at the last second and I tensed up. 
"I was extremely upset at the time, but 100 per cent regret what I did in front of fans and little children who were watching the game. I'm a person who plays on emotions, but it's no excuse. As a father of a little girl, I can only apologise to any little girl or boy who was watching and to any fan who felt offended."
"I'm disappointed to be leaving. I want to make it clear there are no hard feelings between me and Hull Stingrays, or Bobby McEwan (team owner) and Sylvain Cloutier (the club's coach). They have talked to me. I think we respect each other well enough. From a business perspective the decision had to be made." 
"I am really disappointed because I wanted to finish first in the Conference and get back to Nottingham for the play-off semi-finals." 
"I like Hull, especially Jason Silverthorn, I think we have pretty good chemistry on the ice. Jereme Tendler is another fellow I really get on with, and Sylvain Cloutier. I'm really disappointed not to finish the season with them.